A tip when upgrading mysql-cacti-templatesThu, Oct 15, 2009 in Monitoring Databases
A client recently asked me to fix some Cacti graphs that had broken after upgrading the Cacti templates I wrote for MySQL. The symptoms were weird; I’m not sure I understand fully what happened, but some of the graphs were OK and some had only part of the data they were supposed to. Some graphs would have one data element as usual, and others would be nan (not a number).
VividCortex is the startup I founded in 2012. It’s the easiest way to monitor what your servers are doing in production and I consider it far superior to Cacti. VividCortex offers MySQL performance monitoring and PostgreSQL performance management among many other features.
After turning on the debug logs, I found that the script was returning the data correctly – it was not a script problem. But after Cacti got the data from the script, it wasn’t associating it correctly with the RRD archives. Here’s a log message:
10/14/2009 12:05:05 PM - CMDPHP: Poller Host DS CMD: /usr/bin/php -q /opt/cacti/scripts/ss_get_mysql_stats.php --host dbserver --items bj,bm --user --pass , output: bj:68 bm:64 10/14/2009 12:05:05 PM - CMDPHP: Poller DEVEL: SQL Exec: "insert into poller_output (local_data_id, rrd_name, time, output) values (1270, '', '2009-10-14 12:05:03', 'bj:68 bm:64')"
The suspicious thing here is that the rrd_name is blank in the INSERT statement. That shows me that Cacti is having trouble with something. A little more digging in the log, and I found
10/14/2009 12:05:06 PM - POLLER: Poller CACTI2RRD: /usr/bin/rrdtool update /opt/cacti/rra/dbserver_thread_cache_size_1270.rrd --template Threads_created 1255547103:68
Here we see that Cacti is only updating the Threads_created item in the RRD file. It should be updating a couple of them. Indeed the graphs showed nan for thread_cache_size, as expected from this command.
Next I found this SQL statement (all by searching for 1270 in the log, by the way):
select data_template_rrd.data_source_name, data_input_fields.data_name from (data_template_rrd,data_input_fields) where data_template_rrd.data_input_field_id=data_input_fields.id and data_template_rrd.local_data_id=1270
I executed this and found a result like this:
mysql> select -> data_template_rrd.data_source_name, -> data_input_fields.data_name -> from (data_template_rrd,data_input_fields) -> where data_template_rrd.data_input_field_id=data_input_fields.id -> and data_template_rrd.local_data_id=1270; +-------------------+--------------------------+ | data_source_name | data_name | +-------------------+--------------------------+ | thread_cache_size | thread_cache_size | | Threads_created | bj | +-------------------+--------------------------+
That’s not right – the data_name for thread_cache_size should be “bm”. This is a “compression” tactic I employed a while ago to limit the size of the returned data, because Cacti has a silly buffer size limit that was truncating and discarding data from the script. So this server’s Cacti install seemed to have been upgraded from an older version of the templates, and not all of the data sources were updated correctly.
The fix for this was to write a couple of custom scripts to find such occurrences in the log and update the database to have the correct two-letter data_name.
About The Author
Baron is the founder and CEO of VividCortex. He is the author of High Performance MySQL and many open-source tools for performance analysis, monitoring, and system administration. Baron contributes to various database communities such as Oracle, PostgreSQL, Redis and MongoDB.