Switching From Swiftype to a Static JSON Index and LunrJS

I was shocked how easy it was to add a browser-based search engine to this website using LunrJS and Hugo’s new content types. With a few small changes and less than 30 minutes of work, I had a great search engine up and running. I moved it under the menu and made it into a separate search page.

If you’re interested to mimic my approach, you can see the commit that I used to add the search page. I copy-pasted most of this code from articles here and here.

(Update: I broke my RSS feeds with the commit above, and needed two more to fix them).

Magnifying Glass

I’d like to express my appreciation to Swiftype for their excellent search engine, which I have now removed. I’ve used it for years and always loved their service. I still use it, and will continue doing so, for cases that require more robust capabilities.

Pic Credit

See Also

I'm Baron Schwartz, the founder and CEO of VividCortex. I am the author of High Performance MySQL and lots of open-source software for performance analysis, monitoring, and system administration. I contribute to various database communities such as Oracle, PostgreSQL, Redis and MongoDB. More about me.